Wednesday, August 24, 2016

YouCubed: Lots of great resources for students, parents, and math teachers

This morning, while scrolling through my Facebook feed, I came across an article entitled "Not a Math Person: How to Remove Obstacles to Learning Math". Being a mathematician, the people I meet are always telling me how impressed they are that I study math, how smart I must be, how they were always bad at math in school, how they just aren't a math person, etc.  It's incredibly frustrating, and I still haven't worked out the perfect response - I usually acknowledge that a lot of people have had bad experiences with math at school, but try to impart that it doesn't have to be that way, that pretty much everyone is capable of learning math.

Through reading this article, I came across YouCubed and the work of Stanford math education researcher Jo Boaler. If you haven't already, take some time to read the article and browse YouCubed. Seriously.  So much good stuff there for parents, students, and math teachers at all levels. After an hour browsing YouCubed, I've already used its Week of iMath to plan my first few middle school math circles.  There are books, online courses, articles, lesson plans, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment